Posted Saturday, August 10 at 2:04 AM (2 years ago)
Oh gosh I seem to be on a roll with these updates again. Here’s what changed in Publ:
- Fixed a silly bug in the admin dashboard renderer which made it not work in production mode
- Make the admin log only record the most recent access per user per entry, making it way more useful
- Make the logout operation happen via POST method rather than GET, fixing a problem with browser prefetching; added a
logout.html template to support that. (Also made the default
unauthorized.html use Authl’s default CSS.)
- Actually make
entry.authorized available, rather than just documented. Also gave it a better name while I was at it.
view.entries can now take an optional argument for inlining unauthorized entries, improving its usage within feeds.
view.unauthorized can now take an optional argument for limiting the unauthorized view count, which helps performance and makes it a bit more predictable
- Images now provide their filename as the default alt text, which is arguably better for accessibility than just leaving it a blank string. I am willing to change my mind on this, however.
- Cleaned up the code around
category.subcats(recurse=True) and also added some actual tests for the sort ordering. They pass.
And the Authl changes (which were actually released before Publ 0.5.0 but I didn’t bother announcing them until I had them tested “in the wild”):
- Changed to using packaged data for templates
- Made the login page CSS available through
- Removed the spurious precision from the email message template
Anyway, I of course updated the sample beesbuzz.biz templates to reflect the new functionality.
Wow, Publ’s feeling like it’s actually kinda pretty good at stuff now. I hope someone else ever wants to actually, like, use it or something.
Posted Friday, July 26 at 12:36 AM (2 years ago)
Updated some packages.
Main things with Publ since the last release:
- Internal cleanups to how caching happens
- Stop spuriously-caching a bunch of stuff; in particular login/logout endpoint URLs no longer get cached
- Various cleanups
- Improve the way that built-in templates are managed
- Initial cruddy implementation of an admin authentication dashboard (although this isn’t quite ready for prime time)
The only Authl change is that email identities are now given as a full
mailto: URL; going forward all identity strings will be full URLs. This simplifies the UX for admin dashboards, in particular, and removes some ambiguity.
Posted Sunday, July 21 at 2:24 AM (2 years ago)
I’ve released a mini-update of Publ to fix an authentication problem (the config parser was “helpfully” sanitizing things that didn’t want to be sanitized), and also some refactoring/improvements/bugfixes to Authl.
The big changes to Authl are that the email handler generates shorter/nicer links, and it also puts an anti-abuse timeout into email login attempts to prevent people from spamming themselves or others with spurious email notifications. There’s also a bunch of small bugfixes to Authl’s login flow, and Flask apps can specify that sessions should not be made permanent.
Posted Saturday, July 13 at 5:25 PM (2 years ago)
I’ve added private entry stuff to my website (here’s an example post) and in doing so I shook out a few loose ends:
- Improved the login flow for when someone is logged in but goes to an entry they don’t have access to
- Simplified generating login and logout links from templates
Status: UNLISTED as a synonym for
All the auth-related things are now documented here and also demonstrated in the sample templates.
There is not much left for v0.5, incidentally!
Posted Saturday, July 13 at 2:58 AM (2 years ago)
Wow, this is a pretty major update: authentication is now a thing!
It isn’t quite complete yet – I still have a few more things I want to add before I consider it done (and therefore release v0.5.0) – but this is at least in a state where it’s ready to be experimented with. Probably. I need to sleep first, before I start adding authentication to my website.
Posted Monday, July 8 at 11:56 AM (2 years ago)
I’ve released Authl 0.1.1, which adds support for Mastodon authentication. And the Publ test suite now is up-to-date with that as well.
There’s a few things I want to do on Publ before I release a version for use on my own website, the big one being the ability to provide a better login page, and some refactoring around built-in templates now that built-in templates are becoming a thing.
I also really want to redo how I manage the documentation site, because it’s getting kind of untenable at this point.
Anyway, really soon I’ll have properly-private content on my website again, and hopefully this will be enough of a feature for people to actually be interested in Publ!
Posted Thursday, July 4 at 10:58 PM (2 years ago)
I’ve put a bunch more work into Authl, and have released it into PyPI. Of note is that now it has a simplified mechanism for setting it up with a Flask application.
Hey, wait, Publ’s a Flask application!
How about that.
Posted Monday, July 1 at 12:07 AM (2 years ago)
I wrote more about this on my personal blog but to summarize, I finally made some progress on actually working on Authl, which was the missing piece I needed before finally getting started on private posts. No promises on when I’ll actually have that functionality working, but at least I’ve finally gotten over the chicken-and-egg bump of not having any auth system to implement privacy against (and no privacy system to implement auth for).
Anyway, if anyone wants to play with what I have so far, there’s an incredibly basic starting point over yonder.