Posted Saturday, May 26 at 1:19 AM (2 years ago)
So aside from the Dreamhost issues, I would like to share what’s new in the latest version as part of my big “get my website online” push:
- PERFORMANCE: Improved the threading mechanisms around image renditions for better stability and performance
- BUGFIX: Made markup tagging work consistently between image types
view.link() now allows overriding
- FEATURE: You can now mark an entry with an
GONE, which results in a 410 error instead of a 404 (be the envy of your web-developer nerd friends!)
- FEATURE: Error templates will automatically use the x00 error code as a potential fallback (e.g. error code 503 will also fall back to a template for 500)
- FEATURE: Entry titles can now have Markdown in them, and it usually works most of the time!
- BUGFIX: Now when running in debug mode you don’t end up with two watchdog threads
- FEATURE/QUALITY: Refactored the way error pages are handled, and now if you get a 404-type error on a page while the index is being asynchronously scanned, it’ll turn into a 503 with a
Retry-After disposition in case it’s just something that hasn’t been indexed yet
- UX: View pagination URLs now all use
id as the query parameter rather than a miasma of contextually-dependent
first which made no sense anyway
Posted Tuesday, May 22 at 5:00 PM (2 years ago)
Oh, it’s been a little while since I’ve posted an update, hasn’t it? That’s
because I’ve been very busy building the templates for my personal site! In
doing so I’ve greatly improved the way that view refinements worked, fixed a few
silly bugs with image search paths on templates, and also added an easier way to
specify background images in CSS, via the
I’m really excited to be able to bring my first fully-realized Publ site to the
public; I hope it gets other people interested in what a flexible publishing
system allows them to do!
Posted Saturday, May 19 at 12:00 AM (2 years ago)
Today I added two new useful features:
I also implemented the better date sort mentioned previously.
These things are already making my new personal site look way better and easier
to use! I feel like I’m almost ready to flip the switch.
Oh, and I also improved the getting started guide, including
adding basic setup instructions for Linux and Windows. Not that I’ve gotten Publ
to run on Windows, yet, but documenting how to get the environment set up is
the first step, right?
Posted Tuesday, May 15 at 5:21 PM (2 years ago)
Today I got two major bits of functionality in: Publ will now asynchronously scan the content index (which speeds up startup and fixes some annoying race conditions with entry creation), and it also asynchronously generates image renditions (which makes pages not take forever to load on first render, and will also use multiple CPU cores if available). Seems to work well so far.
I was running into scaling problems with beesbuzz.biz (what with there being a couple thousand entries and some pages with hundreds of images on it) and this keeps it feeling pretty good.
So, this brings us up to version 0.1.14.
Posted Sunday, May 13 at 11:14 PM (2 years ago)
Two major updates for v0.1.13:
- Rewrote the pagination logic to actually work across category-recursive views, and to support pagination where the
sort order isn’t necessarily the same between renders
- Refactored images so that the template
image() function has access to the tag writer
These changes were made as part of migrating beesbuzz.biz over to Publ, which I’ve made a lot of progress on now.
It’s pretty nice getting my overall design proven out, and to shake out all the little bugs and misfeatures.
Hopefully soon I’ll have Publ in a state where I feel comfortable releasing it as beta.
Posted Saturday, May 12 at 12:35 PM (2 years ago)
I just released v0.1.12 which adds a couple of quick, minor-ish fixes to Unicode handling; in particular:
- UTF-8-containing headers no longer get MIME-mangled on first import
- I finally made the automatic slug text way better by switching to awesome-slugify
So, now it’s no longer US-English-centric, at least. Right now it just uses the defaults; at some point I’ll want to make it so that you can configure a site’s or entry’s language locale so that things work better on that end too.
Posted Thursday, May 10 at 7:06 PM (2 years ago)
I have now implemented the basic OpenGraph API to Publ, so now a template can generate an OpenGraph card with
So in theory when this entry gets autoposted to Twitter, this first paragraph should appear, as should the below image:
Anyway that’s what’s new in v0.1.11 (as well as a bunch of internal refactoring to support this addition).
Posted Wednesday, May 9 at 11:29 PM (2 years ago)
If you are reading this, it means that Publ v0.1.10 is out. This release is mostly about a few cleanups, such as:
- No longer nests a
<div> for an image gallery inside of a containing
<p> (which both fixes an HTML validation error and makes styling more controllable)
- Cleans up error handling somewhat
- Also cleans up a bunch of code for property caching
But there’s also a new feature, namely
view.range, which you can read about over in the API docs.
I am also making significant progress in porting my main website over to Publ and hopefully I’ll
have something to show for it soon. (And I promise it looks way nicer than this site!)
Posted Wednesday, April 25 at 11:28 PM (2 years ago)
Not a lot to say, just that
all my intended image rendition functions work now (historical note: this entry was back when the Publ site included the test suite, which is no longer the case).
I really need to stop dragging my feet on migrating beesbuzz.biz over, because there is
absolutely no excuse now.
Anyway, this ups the Publ version to 0.1.5. Have fun.